Popular Posts

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Documentaries and News Casting/Reporting

I started watching I-Witness Documentaries in Powerhouse QTV 11 last January. I felt like so acquainted to the said program alongside other current affairs shows such as Reporter’s Notebook and Jessica Soho Reports. It happened that I wasn’t able to follow the usual programs during my college years since we didn’t have a tv set in the apartment. I am just glad to know that the broadcasting company still air some replays of their documentaries. Whenever I am watching such real life-issues and stories presented by indeed very good reporters, I always end up wondering about the protocol a particular documentary program follows in selecting the right reporter to conduct the research and deal with a certain issue [too inquisitive ‘bout this matter eh?].

On News Casting and Reporting...

It’s not because I am messed up by the usual news personalities we see all day and night in news programs [they have established themselves in the course of time, anyway] but I’m again thinking that in their presence, the reporters or at least the far-more-experienced-than-reporters staffs couldn’t excel as anchors or news casters [or into a position such as those highly regarded in the studios]. We all know that both concerns have different matters to consider. Again, this is by all means a question by a person who’s only wondering bout what and how it goes in public affairs and journalism [and so whoever reads this and has any comments, feel free to give some].

Well, known to the concerned viewers, the roles of an anchor and a reporter are almost interchangeable [at least an anchor can grab that of a reporter’s but the latter can’t easily have an anchor’s position].  While the reporter gathers the news [of all encompassing aspects] in the field, the anchor stays in the studio to convey collected info through TV or radio networks. The former does everything at least from gathering and assembling info, voice casting and script writing while the anchor may or may not write the news as he/she will deliver it later.

Unknown to us [but of course may seem too obvious], an anchor’s rank is esteemed and highly paid [accdg to a friend of mine who’s working in a local network].


The return of Brigada

I highly commend Brigada for again venturing into this kind of conveying news to the public. There are really lots of public matters we tend to ignore just so because we, in general aren’t actually informed about the real scenarios in the society. For me, it is a good thing to have such program that will discuss local problems in the country whether in the rural or urban as I may say. For a public affairs’ pillar [GMA News] Jessica Soho, who’s been in the said field for years [way back Beltran and Sotto’s Brigada Siete], it seems to be her time to give back what she has received in the course of her stay in the department by mentoring the new generation of journalists/reporters. Though I was not really concerned with the news ‘til 4th grade, I knew there were running news programs like Hoy! Gising, Frontpage, Brigada Siete, Magandang Gabi Bayan, etc.  Through time, the people have in general changed preferences on how news are delivered. The contemporary time needs [well as I deem so] a progressive strategy to capture interests amongst people.  A touch of opinion in an unconventional news program like that of Brigada with small bits of documentaries shows how news programs respond to what the present time calls for. Also, let me speak well of it again as the program gives the reporters behind the limelight [reporters who appear infrequently] a chance to give some commentaries on their reports as Jessica shares her own insights as well. Whoa. I so love it. [If I am not into the field of science, I’d probably in journalism. kapal...]


John Mark Katindig Torres

No comments:

Post a Comment